The Susan G. Komen® Affiliate Network is the nation’s largest private funder of community-based breast health education and breast cancer screening and treatment programs. No other breast cancer organization has this extensive network of grassroots volunteers and staff.
The 117 Komen Affiliates in the U.S. serve more than 18,000 communities across the country. More than 75,000 Komen volunteers and staff work throughout the year to save lives from breast cancer. They raise funds for breast cancer research as well as local breast health and breast cancer services for those who need it most.
Affiliate Community Health Programs
Komen Affiliates are local: they live in the community, they study the community, and they work with local medical experts and community leaders to fund programs that are right for their areas. Seventy-five percent of net funds raised by local Komen Affiliates fund breast health programs in the communities where they were donated.
These local programs aim to change behaviors and increase access to early detection and quality treatment. Programs range from access to breast health services to education, screening, diagnosis and treatment programs, as well as support for survivors and their loved ones.
Komen Affiliates strive to:
- improve breast health outcomes for all people everywhere.
- understand the communities’ breast health needs and the current resources available.
- fund effective programs and services that meet the identified needs based on priority.
- provide communities with breast cancer knowledge, tools and resources to empower them to take action.
- evaluate, learn from and communicate program results and impact.
- leverage relationships and build strategic partnerships.
Local Focus, Local Impact
Through thoughtful and strategic partnerships and coalition building, Komen Affiliates work to provide their communities with seamless access to breast health services.
Komen’s Community Health approach is designed to reduce breast cancer mortality in communities throughout the United States.
We’re celebrating National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Connect with and follow Komen St. Louis and use the hashtag #bcjourney to join in the conversation.