Susan G. Komen® has sustained a strong commitment to supporting research that will identify and deliver cures for breast cancer. This long-term commitment has resulted in important progress that has contributed to major advances in breast cancer since Komen’s founding in 1982. With increasing investments over time – now totaling over $800 million – Komen is the largest non-government funder of breast cancer research in the world.
Our research focus has evolved over the years. In the beginning we focused on understanding the basic biology of breast cancer. As we learn more about the factors that make cancer cells grow and spread, we are able to invest more in the translation of this knowledge into treatment, early detection and prevention.
Our focus is to support work that has significant potential to lead to reductions in breast cancer incidence and mortality within the decade.
Our work isn’t done until our vision of a world without breast cancer is reached.
Susan G. Komen:
- began with a single grant for $28,000 in 1982
- has funded research each year since we began
- has invested more than $800 million in research since 1982 to support over 2200 research grants
- is the largest non-government funder of breast cancer research in the world
- currently manages over 500 active research grants totaling over $285 million
- has supported a broad range of research from basic biology to treatment to survivorship
Link to 2013 Research Fast Facts: http://ww5.komen.org/uploadedFiles/Content/ResearchGrants/GrantPrograms/Overview%202013%2010.17.13%20JM.pdf
Link to HER2 Research Fast Facts: http://ww5.komen.org/uploadedFiles/Content/ResearchGrants/GrantPrograms/Research%20Fast%20Facts%20FY10%20-%20HER2.pdf
Link to Metastasis Research Fast Facts: http://ww5.komen.org/uploadedFiles/Content/ResearchGrants/GrantPrograms/Metastasis%2010-24-2012.pdf
Link to Triple Negative Breast Cancer Research Fast Facts: http://ww5.komen.org/uploadedFiles/Content/ResearchGrants/GrantPrograms/TNBCFINAL.pdf
Link to Vaccine Research Fast Facts: http://ww5.komen.org/uploadedFiles/Content/ResearchGrants/GrantPrograms/ResearchFastFactsVaccine.pdf